Sunday, March 15, 2009

Day 23: Cheaters Never Win

So I cheated!  Big time.  But I’ve SO learned my lesson.  Day 21 started really well, then by noonish, my energy evaporated big time.  Then, later in the day, I had a weird cramp in my stomach, and I was craving salt, big time.  So that evening, I went to a restaurant, ordered some chicken soup, but only sipped the chicken broth.  I ordered this soup at an El Salvadorian restaurant, so they left chips, salsa, and tortillas on the table.  I drank the salsa juice as well.  So that went fine- chicken broth and salsa juice- I didn’t consider that cheating.  I drink chicken broth several times a week whenever I’m craving salt, and salsa is basically a bunch of tomatoes and other veggies- and I’m almost positive that it’s made fresh at that particular restaurant.

So when I left the restaurant, I was SO craving food.  Even though I was not physically hungry, I couldn’t get my mind off of my favorite food- pizza.  The chicken broth and salsa made me feel great, and I didn’t experience any cramps at all afterwards, so I thought- pizza would probably make me feel even better (even though I felt fine).  It’s funny, because we all have our demons.  With some people it’s liquor.  Others- cigarettes.  Still others- it’s shopping, drugs etc.  Carbs are my Achilles hill, my tragic flaw.  My name is ________________ and I’m a carboholic.

So I folded.  My mental hunger won and I went to my favorite pizza place for pizza.  I ordered a cheese pizza with olives and sausage.  This particular pizza joint prepares everything fresh and makes a killer pie.  And when I bit into a piping hot slice, it tasted like rubber.  It was so awful.  I couldn’t believe how different it tasted.  So then, because I knew it shouldn’t have tasted that way (and because I’m an addict), I figured if I ate even more, then it would eventually taste the way it should.  So I had I think about 4 or 5 slices (about half of a medium pizza).  Now normally, I could have easily eaten the entire pie with some chips and cookies too, but I just couldn’t get any more down.  Then I went to sleep.  Around 9pm ish.

Well, about 2am on Day 22, I awoke to the most horrible stomach cramps and pain.  It was really bad.  I had horrible gas, diarrhea.  It was really, really bad.  I had stomach cramps and felt lousy for all of Day 22.  I didn’t consume anything by mouth until about 4pm on Day 22- I had to drink some water and later that evening, I had orange juice. 

Needless to say- lesson learned.  Big time!  I will not cheat anymore.  It’s so not worth it.  And actually, I’m glad it did happen- because now, when I’m craving pizza, I can remember Days 21 & 22 and know that it’s not worth it.  Although now, I can’t stop thinking about Subway sandwiches.  Lol. 

So today, day 23, I’m having orange juice.  I just juiced the last of my 25lb bag that I bought a few days ago.  More later…

2 comments:

  1. No way is it worth the misery! I finished a 28 day juice fast about two weeks ago, I didn't cheat while on the fast, but I did break the fast a little too quickly and paid for it with pain and the results you had.
    I'll go back and read all your posts, you might consider the followers function so we can keep an eye on your progress and root you on :-)
    I've found comments and suggestions inspirational, at times when I needed them the most.
    Keep up the good work! I've started another juice fast and I'll be attempting to lose another 10 pounds on top of the 30 I already have. I drink almost exclusive veggies and carrots. Zucchini, asparagus, yellow squash, kale, collard greens, romaine, cauli, and brocc. Too much apple and orange pulp passes thru the filter and makes me too hungry and as a result way too cranky.
    I think zero fiber equals a quiet digestive system.
    I've rambled too much! Take care and I wish you the very best of luck.
    Steve

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Steve,

    Thanks for your note. I don’t think the fast has been misery. Quite the opposite, in fact. Definitely a learning and a growing experience. I placed the followers function on my blog. This is my first blog, and I didn’t release that I needed to use that function for people to follow my blog. Thank you very much for the suggestion. Do you have a blog about your own journey? If so, please leave the url. As I’m sure you know- veggie juice is ideal for a fast, but it’s just that I’m a sugar freak. I know sugar is super bad, and I do really need to wean myself from it. Hope to “hear” from you again.

    ReplyDelete